Friday, June 23, 2006

The Great Crochet/Knit Debate

Yesterday on my weekly grocery outing, I paused at the magazine rack, which since I've immersed myself in my knitting venture, I am wont to do, on the outside chance there might be a knitting magazine waiting to find a new home. So far, there has not. But yesterday, my eyes fell upon this http://www.crochetmagazine.com/ and I was much intrigued. I bought it.

Mind you my crochet capabilities are in dire straites. I can chain, I can crab (thanks to Stitch and Bitch Nation), but thus far I cannot seem to grasp a method that is comfortable in my hands. It is not for want of trying. Just last weekend I set out to teach myself to make a Granny Square, thinking it certainly must be one of the easiest of crochet patterns, because afterall I have seen renditions of it all of my life! And one of my WorkBasket booklets has a great pattern for a little jacket and tank that looks so easy and cute that I really thought I could whip it up, once I mastered the Simple Granny Square! Well there was not much simplicity involved. I ended up with a gob of twisted yarn that the only possible thing it could be good for would be a starting point for some sort of free form venture. Google videos. Learn, grow, embrace. I tried, I did. I found some great video crochet sites, I watched, I winced, I tried. But my hands simply did not heed instruction, and I tucked the debacle out of site, but certainly not out of mind and heart.
Then yesterday~
The magazine.
And here it sits on my desk, Defining Crochet to me as being yes Very Cool, and Yes very desirable, and yes making me feel as though I am a bumbling creature for not being able to grasp even the basic rudiments of the art! I must have the Halter on page 39. Perhaps not exactly that halter, but o the colors and the motif design. I imagine a purse made of that motif, a blanket, a shaw. How dare they dangle these in front of my eyes, challenging me to grab a hook. Taking my attention away from my darling knitting. That which I know, that in which I find comfort daily, giving my existance worth. It is rude.

And I am intrigued.

So then, the only course of action would be of course to learn crochet. A happy melding of art, a knit/crochet family of options. Expanding my horizons, my talents, my capabilites of creation.
But I am a knitter, first and foremost, my first love. Could my heart be pulled away by clever glossy model beautiful marketing? Would it really be worth the time, energy, frustration invested? Will my knitting friends brand me the traitor? Will I forever be changed by the chain?
I say Nay.
I say there is room for more.
Yes room for crochet and knit on the same pallette.
Room to grow into all that I can be.
I can embrace both with guiltfree abandon, because there are no rules of art.
Art is the heart of creation.
It calls for recklace abandon, and if crochet be a part of it...so be it!
My needles will wait patiently. My hands are capable, my mind is open, and my spirit willing.
I can learn the crochet.

Soon my pretties I will conquer the Granny Square.....soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home